OneDrive replaces your home directory and desktop with a personal document library. However, it is not appropriate to store documents in OneDrive that everyone in your organization needs to access.
These are the reasons why:
- When an employee leaves and OneDrive is deleted, all documents stored there disappear.
- If you are on vacation or sick, others cannot access the documents stored there.
- Makes collaboration within a department difficult when documents are not available.
- Your colleagues cannot find or search your OneDrive unless you have shared it.
- Documents that you think should be temporarily saved in OneDrive risk being forgotten there.
- It is not possible to put metadata on documents in OneDrive .
Use OneDrive for:
- Saving your personal documents .
- Saving documents that are not of importance to the organization to keep for the future.
- Saving early drafts that you do not feel comfortable sharing, such as temporary calculations or draft notes.
Discover MetaShare – enabling seamless document collaboration in Microsoft 365
MetaShare makes it easy to find, work with and reuse documents. Documents in MetaShare are organized with metadata.
MetaShare enables several ways to intuitively find documents. You can filter on metadata and search free text in all documents in Teams, OneDrive, SharePoint and MetaShare. You do not need to know where the document is stored.